Handling Complex Cases With Unparalleled Expertise
Getting injured in a car accident can put you under tremendous stress. Between dealing with the insurance companies, law enforcement, and other involved drivers, it can be difficult to know what you are supposed to do. Worse still, what happens if the other driver flees the scene before you can collect any identifying information?
This is known as a hit and run accident, and if it happens to you, collecting compensation for your damages can be tricky. At Rourke & Blumenthal, our Columbus hit and run accident attorneys are highly knowledgeable regarding car accident claims. In the event of a hit and run, we can walk you through every step of the claims process.
Why should you consider Rourke & Blumenthal?
- We have recovered more than $300 million for clients in past settlements and lawsuits.
- We were named Best Personal Injury Litigation and Medical Negligence Firm in Columbus by U.S. News.
- Our attorneys have been Martindale-Hubbell® Rated AV Preeminent®.
- Our team has been included in Super Lawyers® list (less than five percent of Ohio attorneys).
What to Do When the Other Driver Leaves the Scene
Whenever you are in a car accident, no matter how minor, you must stay at the scene of an accident until the police arrive and document the incident. Failure to do so can result in both civil penalties as well as criminal charges. The moment a driver leaves the scene of an accident, the methods available to victims for seeking compensation drastically change. Drivers who are later apprehended may face additional punitive damages. If a driver cannot be located, a victim’s only option may be to file an uninsured motorist claim with their own insurer.
Steps to take in the event of a hit and run accident include:
- Call the police. Once you have pulled over, call the police and inform them that you have been involved in a hit and run accident. Law enforcement will arrive and document the incident. Police reports can be critical in substantiating the events of a hit and run. Without the other driver, your testimony and the police report will make up the bulk of evidence in your case.
- Gather evidence. Look for and collect any evidence which supports your claim or helps to locate the fleeing driver. Take pictures of property damage, injuries, and the surrounding area. Additionally, write down any information you can remember about how the accident occurred, the other car, and what the driver looked like. Witness testimony can also be a powerful tool.
- See a doctor. Seeking medical care early on can serve at least two important functions. First, as not all injuries are immediately apparent, you are working to protect your health. Secondly, documenting injuries early can support the validity of your personal injury claim and help to communicate the precise nature of how an accident affected you.
Columbus Hit & Run Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident through no fault of your own, contact Rourke & Blumenthal as soon as possible. The personal injury claims process can be tremendously complex, and this is especially true in cases where the at-fault party leaves the scene of the accident.
Insurance companies may be wary of false claims and subject your story to intense scrutiny. Our hit and run accident attorneys can work with the insurance company on your behalf to see that your claim is treated fairly. After any accident, the last thing you need to worry about is how to navigate the legal system. Contact our offices today and secure legal advocacy that is backed by more than 150+ years of experience.
Could Not Ask For Better
I could not have asked for better people to work with. They were very understanding, patient, and compassionate.- Abby J
They displayed outstanding expertise in representing me throughout the process.- Tom C.
It was a pleasure working with the team and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for legal representation.- Toni R
Treated Me Like A Person Not A Number
He kept me in the loop @ all times throughout the life of my case. He treated me as a person and not just a case number to just be worked.- Anonymous
He treated me as a person and not just a case number to just be worked.
Jonathon listened to me as we mutually decided to move forward with my case. I had been turned away by more law firms than I can count.- Anonymous
Outstanding Expertise & Knowledge
Mr Rourke and his staff were very professional. The expertise and knowledge they showed was outstanding.- Anita
Evening & Weekend Appointments - We Will Come to You
We Don't Get Paid Unless We Recover Money for You
We are Able to Handle Complex Cases that Other Lawyers Can't
Attorneys Who Have Been Included in Ohio Super Lawyers®
AV® Rated - Top Rating for Ethics and Legal Skill
Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum®