As more and more people use cellphones behind the wheel, the number of distracted driving car accidents across the country is rising. But motorists are not the only ones at risk of negligent driving behaviors, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA). A preliminary study they have recently conducted indicates that there were 10% more pedestrian fatalities in collisions in 2014 than there were in 2015. The first six months of 2015 saw 2,368 pedestrian deaths nationwide. If the end results prove to be true, this would be the largest year-to-year spike since such data began being recorded, back in 1975.
Quick facts on pedestrian fatalities, as reported by the GHSA:
- 26 States + D.C. saw an increase since 2014
- 72% occurred in the dark
- Pedestrian fatalities accounted for 15% of all traffic-related deaths, up from 11% in 2006
Spokespersons and members of GHSA believe the growing number of pedestrian fatalities stem from a variety of problems. From driver inattentiveness to lower gas prices putting more people on the road more often, underlying and subtle factors can all pile up to add to this problem. With promises to work together with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the GHSA believes that there will come a day, and then a year, where there are zero pedestrian fatalities in America.
The GHSA’s efforts focus on three areas of improvement:
- Engineering: Using smarter, safer city, sidewalk, and street designs to remove pedestrians out of harm’s way.
- Education: Telling the public through more-impactful advertisement campaigns about the dangers of driving inattention.
- Enforcement: Using great police numbers to catch dangerous drivers in the act and stop them before they hurt someone.
After a Pedestrian Accident
After being struck by a negligent motorist as a pedestrian, it can be understandably harrowing to try to figure out what you should do next. At Rourke and Blumenthal LLC, our Columbus personal injury attorneys make it easy for our clients and handle all aspects of their lawsuit and litigation for them. We have won millions of dollars for our injury clients throughout the years, including several pedestrian accident cases. Please do not hesitate to contact us when you are in need of trustworthy and friendly legal advocates. Call 614.321.3212 without delay.